Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Bendigo 2016

Marilyn Munroe statue from US
Just back from the Bendigo Weekend Trip which is becoming an annual event for me, given this is the 3rd year in a row I've been able to attend for the big Wool Show. We just missed the Marilyn Munroe exhibit, but the statue was still up.   I meet up with a group of girls from one of the Ravelry Groups and we take over a few houses, meet up for dinner both Friday and Saturday night, and call in on each other over the weekend while we attend the showgrounds, the craft muster and of course ........ a couple of visits to the Woollen Mills ....... not to mention cake, coffee etc etc.  Lots of things to see and do ......
Jane and I at the yarn bombing

  This year was a real hoot!  I shared a house with 8 other women and we had such a fantastic group with such a great vibe in the house the entire time...... thanks girls!  Another part of our group had the house right next door, so were able to do lots of visiting back and forth ....... with our knitting of course!  I couldn't wait to get there on Thursday afternoon to begin the fun .....

Sooooooooo......... guess you are wondering just what I bought while I was there????  I save up during the year so I can get some nice goodies while I'm there - this year was no exception  hahaha.......................

Part of The Ixchel Stand





We were one of the first in the queue on the first day of the show - Friday  and our very first stop is a run down to where the Ixchel Fibre stand is.  This lady has her own Angora Bunny Rabbits that she gives hair cuts and spins their fibre into wonderful skeins with other fibres ....... Here is her stall ......   I purchased some Bunny Mink from her ..... isn't it lovely!

There are just heaps and heaps of stalls full of all sorts of fibre and fun ......... This is what I purchased from the Show and Muster ..... if you look carefully you will see I got some Yak, some Camel, some Cashmere ....... and yes, some fibre to finally begin that spinning thing again.  I even got a spindle that came with some fibre and a bag for easy learning, and found a book about it all at another stall.
 
And don't you just love the tea cozy that resembles Shaun the Sheep????  He just had to come home with me!  I had to take a photo of him with his friends ....... there are some talented people out there!



I ended up making a couple of trips to the Mills and came away with this assortment................
I should be kept busy for months on end after all of this! 
  

One end of the group at dinner on Sat night
And yes, I did manage to get some knitting done (we all descend on dinner venues with knitting in hand as you might see in the dinner photos lol)
Look carefully - Im down this end on the right lol
 

I worked on getting a hat made to send to NZ for one of the nieces birthdays, and also managed to finish one mitt (which includes my first attempt at cables)
 


And now I'll leave with you a couple of photos of the yarn bombing ........ I had a fabulous time and I'm going to enjoy making lots of lovely things with all of this - sooooo much squishy goodness from such a wonderful variety of animals!
All the crocheted umbrellas!
 
 

 

6 comments:

Melody said...

Sounds like a brilliant time...love that yarn bombing

Jo said...

Looks like a great time. You bought so many nice things.
How's your friendship tablecloth coming together...

Anthea said...

Oh my word, it looks like yarn heaven Sharmayne! I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy all the goodies you have there, especially the tea pot cosy! x

Helen said...

Wow looks like a wonderful venue and time spent with friends. Love all your purchases and all the yarns look fabulous !!!

Lynda said...

So glad you got some 'me' time :)) Enjoy!! xx

Lin said...

What a brilliant weekend! Great haul too. xx