Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Cotton Crochet Afghan and Hexie Lovin



It's exciting to be able to tell you that the crochet blanket has been finished! I'm loving how it has turned, and I got some lovely comments when I posted some photos of it on Facebook and Ravelry! It's made from 8ply cotton - from Bendigo Woollen Mills and Stylecraft.  Both these brands have a lovely soft touch and drape to them that remains even after washing - which is why I love it!  I do find the Bendigo to be slightly softer.  I used a free flower pattern by Luba Davies  (D-0101 Floral afghan block by Crochet- atelier ) which can be found on Ravelry. 



 She has it done in several colours, however I chose to make the blocks in single colours.  I then edged each block in treble using the colour, Glacier then joined the blocks together with crochet.  I decided to pop on a lacy type of edging in snow, which I think sets the blanket off nicely! 






Now the crochet is complete I've been spending more time on my hexie tablecloth which is slowly coming together.  I still have one or two more signature hexies coming which is exciting. I'm currently trying to work out fitting the hexies around the centre embroidery which has been a little interesting, but it's getting there! I'm really hoping to get this project completed by the end of March - guess we shall see!  The problem is, I'm easily drawn to other projects once I see some beginning to come to an end!


So you won't be at all surprised when on another note, I'm wanting to get back to some smaller hexies for a few projects!  I spent this week improving things to make that task a little easier ......... I bought a 1" template, a small rotary cutter and a small cutting board that rotates!!!!!  I'm excited and can't wait for Friday when I have the day off and I'll be able to play!  And ...... I also bought a glue pen to help with the task! 


I even have some fabrics picked out ready to cut ......... so stay tuned for that one!  I'm hoping to use these for one of Lynnette Andersons designs that I stumbled upon the other day ..... I can't remember what the name of it was but perhaps I'll have a little more to share on that next EPP link up.

7 comments:

Anthea said...

Oh wow Sharmayne, the afghan has finished so pretty - congratulations - it's just gorgeous! You're so clever.
And you're becoming one of 'those people' now, with your rotating cutting mat, rotary blade & glue pen... can't wait to see which design these fabrics are for!

Lynda said...

The blanket is beautiful Sharm!! xx

Lin said...

Such a beautiful blanket Sharm - gorgeous. Oh and I love the fabrics you have chosen for your new EPP project. Looking forward to following your progress. xx

Narelle said...

Beautiful rug.
I have the same phobia of finishing and develope an itch to work on a new project 😆
We've enjoyed 63mm of rain in 2 storms.

Helen said...

Love your crochet rug such a gorgeous finish !!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your crochet is beautiful. You've put together a gorgeous selection of colours and I'm looking forward to see ing more of your hexie cloth :)

Chookyblue...... said...

Wow so pretty......