Saturday, August 12, 2017

Part 2:Getting Started - Crocheted Flower Garden Blanket Along

It's Saturday here, and as promised I have the info ready for you to join me at the kitchen table for a cuppa and some crochet!  I need to stress these are Not my patterns, the granny square has been around for years with various variations and this lovely flower pattern is a free pattern called  Flower Garden Granny Square by Hiromi Widerquist . Her original pattern is in Japanese and her "English" version in US terms . However I tend to use UK terms so I'm copying it to here in UK terms (and I have some slight changes to her original pattern). See below for the pattern. It's up to you how you want to make up your blanket, however I want all yellow centres so I've made up a few centres to have ready to build the flowers.
 

  I've decided to have different coloured flowers and backgrounds, but you might choose to make all your flower blocks the same colours. 

Remember you will be putting plain blocks in-between each of the flowered blocks so take this into account when planning your colours. 
When I put up the next post you'll notice the plain blocks are a  different pattern which I've adapted to make them the same size as the flower blocks , so remember to watch out for this.

Okay, so there you go, have some fun and don't forget to let me know when you've made some so I can come and have a look.  Can't wait to see all the different flower blankets/ cushions that develop.   Have fun!
hugs Sharm
Linking in with Wool on Sundays


The Flower Block:
Row 1: (yellow centre)- ch 4, join with a ss to form a circle. *dc, ch 4 in loop* do this 8 times.  cut yarn
Row 2: (Petals) - Join your petal colour in any 4ch loop. In each loop *ss, ch 3, 2tr, 3 ch, ss,ch 1*
Repeat * * in each loop and finish with a ss into the top of the 1st dc.  cut yarn.
Row 3: (I've used white here for each of my flower blocks so the petals stand out - the actual pattern refers to this section as the leaves)- Join your new colour with a dc in the ch between any two of the petals.  Work * ch 4 behind each of the petals, dc in each ch 1 space between petals*  continue *  * all the way around finishing with a ss into 1st dc.  Do not cut yarn
Row 4: With same colour ss into the next ch 4 loop. Ch 3, 2 tr, ch 2, 3 tr in same loop. This makes the first corner of the square. *3tr into next loop ;  then 3tr, ch 2, 3tr in next loop (corner). *  Repeat * * around until you have the 4 corners done. 3tr into next loop.  ss into top of 1st 3ch.  Cut yarn.
Row 5: (your background colour) - Attach colour to any corner space, work 1st corner (ch3,tr 2, ch 2, tr 3).  *3tr groups in each space between the 3 tr groups of previous row, across to next corner. Work 3 tr,, ch2, 3tr (corner)*.  Repeat * *to complete the row and ss into top of 1st 3ch.
Here is where I've altered the pattern -   Row 6: using the same colour from previous row work 1 tr in the top of each previous tr stitch all the way around.  When you get to the corners 2 tr, 2ch, 2tr.  You should have a total of 16 stitches from corner to corner.  Cut the yarn
Row 7: Change to your border colour and repeat row 6. You should now have 20 stitches on each side of your block.

4 comments:

ellieshomemadehome.blogspot.com said...

I love your colours in the basket, they blend beautifully. I can't crochet or knit (tried lots of times, given up lots of times), it will be stunning when it is finished :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your blocks look lovely. Thank you for your pattern. I will give it a try :)

Lin said...

Thanks Sharm. Am going to give it a go! xx

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, how pretty! Thank you for the instructions! xx Karen