Monday, April 10, 2017

April Friday Night with Friends

The first week of April is down already, which of course meant the first Friday of the month
joining in with lots of other ladies around the world for some stitching of one kind or another with our lovely host Cheryll.  This time I did something totally different ...... I mentioned our daughter Stacey came up for a visit the other weekend and while she was here she had to sort through a pile of her clothes - she was a little sad to have to throw all her coloured denim shorts and a special pair of flowered denim jeans into the "opp shop" pile since they no longer fit her.   Well she has just found out she is scheduled for some surgery (something rather unexpected occurred a couple of months back and she was placed on a priority list) ......  So on Friday I figured I might just take those shorts and jeans out of the pile and cut them up .......... 
The Front

And turn them into a pillow for her ............ 
And the Back - the fav flowered jeans

I'm heading down to Melbourne on Wednesday to stay with her and take her into the  The Royal Womens Hospital on Thursday.  Strangely enough this is the hospital she was tranfered to by neonatal unit hours after she was born and placed on life support where she stayed hooked up for 3 very long days and nights while they waited to see if she was strong enough to fight and survive.  Three times during the first few months the doctors expected her to die ........ now here we are 27 and a half years later .......... I expect I'm going to have some very mixed emotions while waiting for her to come out of surgery!    Anyhow, I'll be taking the pillow down with me to give her and sure hope she embraces the fact that I cut her favourite jeans up lol

After working on the pillow, I turned to do some stitching on month 3 of Down the Rabbit Hole -
this month is working on leaves, the centre circle and then a border. 
I decided to pull out this cute little seal skin thimble that was sent to me all the way from Alaska by an online friend a few years ago.  I've held off using it for years, but decided it was time to use it.

Night time sees me sitting down for an hour or so in front of the TV and working on the ripple cotton crochet blanket for grandson Jaxson.  Still a while to go on it yet though!  A bit like this post which has had to wait since yesterday arvo for google photos to decide it was happy to play! 

11 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Goodluck to your daughter.... Nice cushion......

Helen said...

Lovely cushion, how did you go with the thimble looks interesting. Hope all goes well for your daughter.

Lynda said...

Hope all goes well with Stacey's surgery. I'm sure she will love the cushion! xx

Susan said...

All the best for you & DD...what a start to life she had!! Lovely idea to make the cushion...and great timing.

Jo said...

It's a hard time for you all. The cushion should cheer her up a bit. The crochet would be an easy project to work on there. Good luck....

Lin said...

Hi Sharm. Sorry to hear that your daughter needs an op - I do hope that all goes well for her. The cushion was a great idea and has worked out really well. Rabbit hole is looking good as is the ripple quilt. xx

Raewyn said...

I hope all goes well for your daughter -I'm sure she will appreciate the re-purposed cushion you made her :-) Down the rabbit hole looks really great - and what a cool thimble!

Anthea said...

Sharm that's a really lovely way to re-purpose the printed denim. Best wishes to your Daughter for her procedure, & you take care too... I'm sure she's in good hands xx

Janet said...

How can she help but love the pillow, made for her with love by her mommy dearest! I hope the surgery goes, or went, well.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Sharm, hope all goes well with your daughter's op. What a sweet pillow you have made for her - I'm sure she will love it and find it comforting while in recovery. Love seeing your latest projects - always so pretty. xx Karen

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That cushion is a wonderful gift for your daughter. I hope she's doing well :)