Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Sewing Room Turnover

Before

I've never really enjoyed being in the sewing room here at this house.  Probably because I had the "office/paperwork stuff" in here as well - unlike Bundalong where I had a little cabin dedicated to the sewing and Maryborough which had a lovely large room ..... here its a smaller bedroom.  Some stuff has not been sorted since our move and just dumped into the "sewing room" and more stuff gets dumped when you don't enjoy the room......... I guess it's when my sewing mojo started leaving.  It got soooo bad that I was ready to throw out sewing stuff but then I got a visit from Christine and we talked about another girls trip to Scrub Stichin next year and just like that my mojo returned BUT a I had to come up with some idea that could turn the current disaster spot into something I actually enjoyed spending time in!  

Before Photos from various angles

As per usual ….all good ideas come as you are drifting off to sleep and it coincided with Pete heading off Friday for a 2 day fishing trip!  Bingo!!! We have a winning situation!!  Off to Wangaratta to visit Bunnings with my list ……. 2 cubed 2 x 2 modular unit flat packs with 8 fabric drawer inserts and some paints ( chalk pink, green and cream) ……

 Friday night was putting together the flat packs while watching some TV renovation shows to keep the momentum going


Saturday- up early and after taking Lucy for her walk it was time to clear out the piles ( to the guest room to deal with afterwards) - the plan today was to clear half the room to allow for furniture to be moved and painted …..first up the little white washed desk was changed to a pink wash 




The cupboard used to keep my yarn needed to be unloaded, painted and then moved to its new position beside the window.  How I hate the curtains in this room (see top photos - they were here when we moved in ) - so the one where the cupboard was going was taken to the bin and with that a whole flood of light came into this dark dingy room 🤩 WOW! Light just makes such a difference to a room!  The other curtain is yet to come off - at the time it was unreachable during the process lol 
While the paint dried I started a bit of the sorting process.  I’d already moved the big desk into its new position and I began the touch up painting on the white bookshelf.  

Once the cupboard, pink table and white bookshelf were in position the modular cupboards were moved into the room to create my vision of making them into a “table top” with 8 large drawers underneath to hold materials and such! 


I think it worked well!  What do you think?? Still a bit to complete the room but getting there .....

The black filing cabinet was moved into that position - initially to get it out the way as I had planned for it to go into the wardrobe in the guest room ...... 

 And by Sunday morning I was able to briefly have room to sit and zoom with a few of the girls before I had to start my prep for a colonoscopy today.  Yesterday.  I had to move a couple of things to get to the desk and set up the laptop lol


One of the main reasons for the 2 modular units being placed back to back was to make a small cutting table for myself in the room whilst also providing lots of storage!
During Zoom, I mentioned the material pile stuffed in the guest room wardrobe ……. Karen suggested I should make note of it as others might be in the same way lol  As it turns out, it wasn't quite as bad once I got started on it.......

So while I waited for the prep to begin its effects I decided I’d start pulling out the little scrap bits of fabric …….which ended up in me sorting all of it ……… and stacking it in the drawers of the cubed modular units .......   I decided to sort the larger pieces into colours - Pinks, Purples and Reds

Cream, White, Yellow, Apricot and Beige
Blues and Greens in the green drawer and jelly rolls/ Fat Quarters ect not yet unwrapped into the pink drawer

On the other side in the bottom green I have non Cotton fabrics and in pink bottom are the christmas fabrics and a pile of new tea towels and face washers (which get crocheted into hand towels).  The top drawers are relatively empty at this point ........ and now that I'm placing things around I've decided to keep the black filing cabinet and a smaller 2 drawer filing cabinet in this room.  I plan to paint them both to tie in with the room and 4 of the drawers will be used for patterns/magazines ect and  WIP's for both knitting and sewing projects  During the sorting into drawers process I was finally able to unpack the bag of goodies from Scrub Stitchin and put them into the drawers!

So over the next while I will continue to work on the finishing touches and remaining piles ...... I've even managed to use the small TV and DVD player that Dad had and have it sitting on top of the currently black filing cabinet while I checked out if it would work....... it does!!!  And I already L O V E being in this room!!!!   So until next time ........... Hugs Sharm xo


6 comments:

Lin said...

What a great weekends work! The cube units make a perfect storage cupboard/cutting table and it is all looking very fresh and enticing! xx

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work, Sharm. You now have a “new” sewing room.
Maggie in Mulwala

Chookyblue...... said...

you know I love the room.......well done and I am thrilled the mojo is back........

Susan said...

Good to hear the mojo is back - it took some hard work but the room does look much lighter & prettier.

loulee said...

You certainly made a huge difference to the room.

Anonymous said...

Your room looks great do you want to come and organise mine?