Friday, February 18, 2022

Summertime Bussyness

I have plenty of sewing to work on ...... but I keep getting drawn to my knitting needles - so while the
bug is there the needles will be clicking away lol  I think it may have something to do with a need for a certain number of items before winter arrives that is driving the bug lol   I've cast on for another pair of socks since I was so happy with the first ones - same pattern but I'm using some color contrast and using the yarn I have on hand.



Stacey and John will be down to visit in May .... partly due to the fact that I have a significant birthday this year so it's a good excuse for them to be able to take the time to head to Melbourne and see friends before heading to the country to spend time with Johns mum and a few other friends before crossing the River to us ....... naturally by then it will be cooler so an order for a new beanie for each of them is getting filled.  We all had a bit of fun "going shopping " virtually in my stash cupboard to choose which yarns they wanted. 


Some of you might remember this cupboard from years ago which used to keep all the preserves in it, but at this house it now sits in the craft room as my stash cupboard for yarn!  It seems strange not having all my jams and relish and such in it, but no room for it in the main area.
 I've made a start on both of them as I wanted to see how they would work up as I'm using 2 yarns held together for both them (pattern required bulky which I didn't have much of) .

 It's the height of Summer here and the weeding is keeping my super busy!  I was weeding by the pool the other morning and found the cactus like plant that Dad gave us years ago and has had several moves had actually taken root against the palm tree we had chopped down and was flowering!!!  The flowers must come out at night and are visible for just a few hours in the morning before it gets hot and sunny ......

See the garden along the fence - we have our dancing lady orchids planted underneath and also some stags trying to survive under the shade cloth



We went to the local market last weekend and I picked up this little trinket bowl to have beside my bed to pop earings or head band and such in when I hop into bed of a night - I thought it was rather cute.
I'm so pleased we put the initial effort into getting a vegie garden planted up within the first few weeks of moving here, as it's been producing very well (apart from the tomatoes which were not so great - I hear from many in the area they also had issues with tomatoes this year). I'm hoping the Roma tomatoes we planted late will come good and without fruit fly so I can cook up a good batch of relish for over winter.  Still, I have the freezer full with grated zucchini, and corn and have cucumbers pickled in jars and basil and small tomatoes have been dried in the dehydrator.  The carrots are just about ready to pull up and we may be lucky to have a few potatoes to boot.  Last night I picked our first Rockmelon which is a treat!  There are about 6 others at various stages which will be a nice way to end the summer vegie season.

Next week we head off on our annual trek away to celebrate our anniversary.  It's something we started around the time of our 20th Wedding Anniversary and I've tried to keep it going as the years have passed ...... this year will be 37th and this time we plan to drive over Mt Hotham down to the coast - Lakes Entrance and follow it up through River Cottage Australia Country - hopefully up as far as Batemans Bay and then to Canberra before heading back home.  We only have a week but it should be enough to have a nice break and see these new places.  I'll be taking some knitting and embroidery with me no doubt as well as one of my books.  Before then, I need to have the garden somewhat in order so its not a total jungle when we get back.  I'm really looking forward to it.

And I'll end here showing you another cowl I got finished last week - not sure if I'll be gifting this one or keeping to use it ..... I need to sort through the clothes and see just what I have that I'll be using and what its time to get rid of!!  For now I'm off to do a few errands ...... Have a great Friday and don't forget its Friday night sew in at Sugarlane Designs tonight!  xo

3 comments:

Janice said...

A nice newsy post. It makes sense to keep knitting while the bug bights. Isn’t it great to have a plentiful garden. Hopefully you get some Romas. Our small tomatoes haven’t done well, but our Roma is thriving. Enjoy your trip.

Lin said...

Lovely to have produce in your garden. Lots of knitting projects on the go - its nice to be able to swap around. Your trip sounds wonderful. xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

We've just had some big storms and outside is thoroughly unpleasant so I really enjoyed seeing all the bustle of Summer at your place. It reminds me I have a lot to do in the garden before Spring arrives. I hope you get your late tomatoes and enjoy your knitting. I also hope you have a great trip. That's a lovely tradition :)