Saturday, February 5, 2022

Hello February......... Celebrations and a Sock finish

The fact that its already February kinda indicates this year is going to fly!  With the start of the month comes my Dad's birthday - He turned 93yrs on Wednesday!!  

I took him out the day before for a birthday morning tea at our friends cafe in Corowa which he loved as they know him well from many years ago when he was living in Yarrawonga and we were looking out for him there! 


 Since I was working Wednesday we ended up taking him for a surprise dinner out at the Golf Club that night.  We hadn't arranged anything as my car was in getting brakes seen to that day so didn't want to make any plans that might not be able to be kept!  He seemed to have a really enjoyable time!

Outside Dad's unit - not easy to try to get them both to smile at the same time - too busy discussing things lol



Just a couple of days later it's the first Friday of the month and time for FNWF where we join Cheryll to work on various projects ....... if you click on the link you will get to see all the other bloggers taking part and visit them to see what they've been up to as well.                                                                       
 I was very close to finishing my first ever pair of knitted socks and I'm pleased to report the knitting part was completed and I just have to see to some threads!  I'm really happy with how they've turned out. I was very close to finishing my first ever pair of knitted socks and I'm pleased to report the knitting part was completed and I just have to see to some threads!  I'm really happy with how they've turned out.  I found knitting the socks to be on the most part rather relaxing and enjoyable so plan to do a few mor this year!


Trouble last weekend with my laptop not wanting to connect to our home wifi or anything else and being so terribly slow ended up with me coming home with a new laptop which I'm working on now ..... oh - what a delight to have things load so quickly!  Doing things on the laptop is now taking way less time!!!  Of course it's taken the best part of the week to get my emails, blogger, ravelry etc etc and connect with passwords (half of which had to be changed for who knows what reason )....... anyhow, while I was in Town in Wangaratta I went to Aldi to pick up a few items and they happened to have a food dehydrator with 5 trays for $39!!  Previously I've considered purchasing one of these items for many years but the price always put me off ..... but for this price it was worth giving it a go!!  
It had it's debut yesterday with some of the tomatoes and I'm really happy with how well it dried them! I can change the temp if I want to.  I'm going to give some basil a go later today as it will only need a short time.   Aldi did also have a yoghurt/cheese maker there as well for the same price which happened to jump into my basket as well ....... I'm yet to give that a go, but I currently buy a tub of yoghurt most weeks which costs between $5-$8 depending on specials etc etc so if I can work it out then it would definitely save money...........  I've never used a yoghurt maker before and I'm a little nervous about the process so we shall see.   


I notice that Kris was talking about her Cottage Garden Threads!  As many of you already know, they are my favourite threads to the point where I had Pete make up a lovely wooden holder for them made from a piece of mango wood that came from our home in Maryborough .......  Kris is also doing OPAM (one project a month) again this year which is a fun way of keeping track of your projects made throughout the year.  Many have it on their sidebars, for the moment I have a page dedicated to it (see the page tabs above at the top)...... although as I move things around on my blog this year, that may change!  Anyhow, I'll leave you with a photo of my CGT on the holder .............. Hugs Sharm



11 comments:

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Sharm! LOOOOVE your socks! I always wish I could knit (& follow patterns!) when I see yummy hand-knitted socks. Your CGT holder is a beaut, too. I keep promising myself I’ll make a fabric thread pouch for my addiction ... er ... COLLECTION! ... but haven’t quite got there. ;0) Lovely to have you playing along with OPAM again this year. :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Love your new socks! Sounds like a lovely day out with your dad :)

loulee said...

Those socks look very cosy. I made a pair years ago. That was enough for me. LOL

Lin said...

Whhat a gorgeous piece of wood for your CGTs. Happy Birthday Dad - congratulations. The socks look great - a good finish. I do like knitting socks - small and quick but with enough complicatedness to make them interesting. Have fun with your dehydrator - and the new laptop. xx

Cheryll said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad...
Love the knitted socks...& good luck with the laptop.
Thanks for joining in FNwF...xox

Maria said...

Lovely photos of your dad enjoying his birthday! It’s years since I visited Corowa ( 1970s) and my memory is a bit hazy and we only took photos of people not places! Although only moving there from Warrnambool when she was 11 or 12, my mum always considered it her home town. So my grandparents, aunt and cousins remained there but my mum came to Brisbane in 1950. My cousins still live there; some spent time away but eventually the pull of their home town brought them back. Reading your blog might inspire me to visit Corowa after all this time. DH is a golf tragic and I believe he’d well and truly get his fix there. Lol
I remember 2 or 3 streets; the Main Street Sanger, Betterment Pde and Albury Rd…the latter 2 were the addresses that as a child I’d laboriously write on the envelope of the thank you letters I’d write to my Nanna Thwaites 😜!

Judy S. said...

Nice work on the socks. You did a great job at matching them, too. Looks like you will have lots of knitting in your future! And a belated Happy Birthday to your dad! Looks like he had a nice celebration.

kiwikid said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad, sounds like you all had a good day. The socks look amazing well done on the finish. Good luck with the food dehydrator, I had one year ago and used to make the boys fruit strips. They took overnight to dry and were gone in a flash!

Susan said...

You dad is looking well!

Lovely to "see" you at FNWF - the socks look good - (pretty useless in QLD, so I'm off the hook for even thinking of making them!)
I still have my food dehydrator from many years ago - it was good for snacks for the girls . . but cant really see me using it much these days.
Good luck with the yoghurt.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Susie H said...

Your socks are lovely! Glad you enjoyed the process and plan on making more. I only have hand-knitted socks to wear all winter long. I have about 30 pair. So much fun. So much prettiness! Time for you to think about casting on another pair! hahaha!