Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Snail Mail Group

8 yrs ago come June, I started a very small snail mail group..... Country Scents Snail Mail ...... over the years we have had ladies come and go, but we've also had a few who have managed to keep part all those years and the friendships (a bit like blogging) have grown during those years of group snail mail letters.  We mostly do robins, which are circle letters ..... (I send off a letter to A, who then reads my letter, writes one of her own, pops both letters into an envelope and sends to B - who sends to C and so on until the last lady on the list sends all the letters including hers back to me ..... I finally get to read everyones letters, pull out my old one, write a new letter and send the package off to A ...... and round and round it goes ).   However, over the past few years as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and endless Facebook Groups have grown and become more "instant gratification" and many ladies began to find that "Life" became far more hectic or complicated, some of our ladies have had to drop out.  We are now down to 9 members, but only 5 or 6 of those members continue to remain "active".  I do try to keep our numbers no more than 15 at any one time (and often memberships have been closed to keep the numbers lower), since it allows for everyone to get to know each other and also to keep up that accountability.  We also used to do about 3 or 4 swaps during the year, which was always a bit of fun ...... something most bloggers seem to enjoy :)   So for a short time I am opening up the memberships again ..........
Do you enjoy receiving letters in your mail box?  Do you like to write snail mail letters about various topics (we try to have different topics going on various robins to keep a few letters dropping into our mail boxes....... things like gardening, sewing, knitting and crochet, anything food, homesteading, and of course general chit chat which is always a very popular one lol).  You do need to be accountable to sending on letters and while some may be sent locally, some will also be posted overseas.  We currently have members in Australia, USA and UK.    If you are interested please either leave me a comment or email me at
sharmshere@yahoo.com     If you are a "no reply" blogger, please leave me a way to contact you.

Hugs Sharm

9 comments:

KERYN B said...

I would love to join if there is room...

Jo said...

I would like to join in.
I still have my letters from a school friend when I first moved to Melbourne. I was only in primary school

Melody said...

Such a lovely idea. I'm not much of a letter writer but I do hope you all have heaps of fun.

Tracy said...

I love letter-writing and will happily join. It sounds great and different to my regular correspondence.

creations.1 said...

I would love to join and be a part of the snail mail group Sharmayne - it is a great idea!

Lynda said...

Hi Sharm - putting a link on my blog to your post. If you get too many ladies interested...I will be happy to take on the excess and get some robins started :)) xx

Sharm said...

Thanks Lynda :) For those ladies who are keen to join us, Lynda is one of our current members

Debbie said...

I'd love to join if there is still room.

Starr Roze said...

HI, your blog is very interesting I would like to join the snail mail group if you are still open :)