Monday, September 4, 2017

The Pincushion Parade Party


Today marks the 3rd Annual  Perfectly Pleasing Pincushion Parade held by Ida over at her blog here.  If you pop over you'll be able to visit lots of other blogs all with pincushions on parade!  I'm afraid some of my pincushions are going to be very jealous since they can't all take part in this years parade - you see a number of them were packed up and taken up to Maryborough back in June.  I truly thought we would be living up there by this stage, but alas, the house here is still waiting to be sold ............... I'm just extremely thankful that I didn't pack up all my sewing, knitting and crochet bits. 

So these are the pincushions who managed to remain here with me.  The round woollen one with the embroidery is one I designed and made many years ago now, when I used to do lots of hand embroidery work (before the days of studying to become a nurse). The little mouse , the square and the cupcake all came as gifts from various places ..... swaps I think (they have been with me for quite some time now and the little mouse has been a long time favourite of mine).  The carrot sits within the hussef I made at the start of the year designed by Sarah Fielke and linked in with the "Down the Rabbit Hole " BOM quilt that I'm making this year (and am 2 months behind in due to my trouble with building the village houses lol).   I debated about how to parade the pincushions and with a bit
of sunshine out yesterday afternoon I took them to sit next to some of the bulbs that are flowering - they look lovely and much as I would love to cut a bunch to take inside - once cut they don't smell very nice at all (I discovered that error last year!).  Look at my poor old Eiffel Tower - it has seen better days (just look at my header photo taken a few years back). The bulbs have grown up inside it and have it held like the leaning tower!


One of these pincushions will be getting lots of use this week as I hand sew down these Dresden flowers that I put together yesterday .......... they make another part of the Rabbit Hole Quilt.  Hubby is enjoying the process of putting in his thoughts and was quick to point out that one of these is more a girl colour and the other a boy colour - just to remember this when they are getting placed around the quilt (in other words - make sure his side of the bed has a blue flower and not a purple one! lol).   I'm just hoping they end up balancing the colours out - there are sunflowers yet to go in the corners and then another thicker border to make up before I'm caught up - yep, 3 months of patterns to try getting done during September! 
  At least I have the Crochet Flower Garden Blanket almost finished - except I ran out of white and have had to order more!  Just 2 more blocks to border and a dc around the outside in white - that was all I needed but alas, it will have to sit and wait for the arrival of a new ball! (see posts below for info on making your own crochet flower garden blanket). Till next time, have fun looking at all the various pincushions out there
Hugs Sharm

12 comments:

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Well I have to say the carrot pin cushion is my favorite but, you are right, the little mouse has his own charm. I am looking forward to seeing the finish of your down the rabbit hole quilt! Thanks for linking up today and good luck!

Janet said...

Great pincushions! I like the carrot and the round one with your embroidery best, but I can see the attraction of the little mouse. Not that I like mice especially, but they are cute when they are inanimate. :) So what is a hussef?

Chookyblue...... said...

My bulbs are out in the garden right from the window I look out the most...... I love them but they don't agree with me if cut and brought indoors.......

kiwikid said...

You have some lovely pincushions there with you, the mouse is very cute. Had to laugh at your hubby's comment, hope he can cope with the purple Dresden plate!! We have bulbs out here too, I gathered a large handful of fressias from the park over the road, where they grow wild. The smell is beautiful.

Hilachas said...

What wonderful pincushions you've shared with us. I, too, like the little round crochet. It's perfect to have a hand when doing hand sewing. That little mouse is so cute. I'm excited about seeing your Down the Rabbit Hole quilt finished. Pretty fans too.

Lin said...

Great collection of pincushions - I love the mouse but the round one really appeals with all the embroidery. xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You've got a great collection of pincushions. The carrot is my favourite! And I'm very much enjoying seeing your Down the Rabbit Hole quilt coming together. I hope your yarn arrives soon so you can finish your blanket :)

Cheryll said...

I bet no one else has a carrot as a pincushion... LoVe it!
But all your collection is wonderful... xox

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A carrot pincushion - how cute! Enjoyed my visit here with you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharm love your pin cushions your carrot one is great xx

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

You have a lovely variety of pin-cushions and your quilting and crocheting is always a delight to see. I hope things work out well with your home - it is waiting for the perfect new family :) xx Karen

Sheryl said...

Great pincushions Sharmayne, all different and pretty. I like the little mouse best. Beautiful Dresden flower colours.