Sunday, February 14, 2016

Swap Meet

Swap Meets used to be all about old cars and car parts and tools ...... and they still are to a degree, which is why DH loves to head to them and takes me along with him ........ now they also have lots of old things - everything you could imagine and more!  Also ....... the Fabric Van started to show up a few years ago ....... and as you might imagine, the wives are all very, very happy to accompany hubbie to the swap meet ........  This year I only bought a couple of fabrics as I'm really, really trying to use up some of the stash that has been there for such a long time!!  I really need to get into that stash and work out what's happening with all those smaller bits!  I somehow see lots of hexie projects ... or maybe some applique ??? 


So what else did we get from the swap meet?  The first find was this preloved little pot belly firetool holder.  I thought it was going to be much lighter till I went to pick it up and discovered its cast iron, so it won't be falling over and will look very cute next to the fire this year.  

 The next find was this meat grinder.  I do have a bigger one, but it's very rusty and although I've tried several times to oil it over and remove the rust so it can be used, it just does not give clean minced meat.  This one was still in its
original box would you believe, with the stickers on it.  With the ridiculous price of mince at the supermarket, I'm keen to give this baby a run........
Moving right along with the kitchen theme and ancient gadgets this glorious little wonder cried out to me.  I didn't think I would really be able to get it since I'd kind of reached my spending limit, but hubbie did a wonderful deal and while I was busy looking at other bits he managed to get this and surprise me ........ it's a very old coffee grinder ......and as you can see, he has even managed to get it screwed up on my kitchen wall.   What a bonus that it's in the cream and green which is a bit of a theme in my kitchen (see the old salt holder - it was purchased at an antique store in Tassie on our 20th anniversary - almost 11 yrs ago).  I also am lucky enough to have a whole set of cream and green canisters that we purchased from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland when we were on our 26th or 27th anniversary).  On the 23rd of this month we will have our 31st anniversary - so I guess this coffee grinder will be the item :)
Naturally with all those old tools and such, it was only natural that the garden would not be left out ........ yep, picked up this little old plough!   All in all, I'd say we had a fun morning.  We also managed to pick up an early birthday gift for eldest son (new power tool, which he was very happy with) and an old fashioned hand flour sifter for his partner (and newest member to our family).  She had seen one just last week for a hefty price, so was pretty excited to be presented with this today!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharm,wow you got some beautiful things from the swap meet,I love them all even the old plough,so glad you had a lovely time there xx

Helen said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day great buys especially the mince grinder in a box !!

Melody said...

Sounds like heaps of fun, great finds too.

Christine M said...

Great finds there Sharm. We have one of those little pot belly fire tool holders. I saw it in the window of our local Salvo's store a few years ago. Noel went back and bought it to surprise me.

lynn cockrell said...

What great finds! That coffee grinder is wonderful.

Sheryl said...

What interesting things to find. I remember we had one of those meat grinders at home when I was a girl.

Anthea said...

Some great finds there Sharm... I have a full set of those canisters from my grandmother...

Monica said...

That was really fun! I envy the fire tool holder (how cute!) and have never seen a coffee grinder that you attach to the wall, although it makes complete sense. Great finds.